St. Andrews Heritage Centre
It all started with a local history book...
St. Andrews Heritage Centre began as a volunteer group that was formed in the early 1980s to write Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry (published in 1982) to celebrate the RM of St. Andrews centennial . In 1998 they decided to write a sequel called Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry - A Sequel to celebrate the millennium year 2000. It was published in 2000.
In 2005, in honour of the 125th anniversary of the RM of St. Andrews, the group was provided a former fire hall to start a museum at 6 Riverview Avenue off St. Andrews Road in St. Andrews, Manitoba.
In the summer of 2013, after lengthy negotiations with Parks Canada, St. Andrews Heritage Centre moved around the corner to St. Andrews Rectory National Historic site (completed in 1854).